Overcoming tricky planning negotiations led to an imaginative and sympathetic conversion and extension of this disused village methodist chapel.
CHAPEL CONVERSION, NORTH NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Client: Private Client
Originally built in 1829, this chapel is classified as Grade II on English Heritage's list for England.
Planning permission was a difficult negotiation, with the local authority resisting the loss of the building's community use, despite resounding support for the conversion from the villagers.
The extent of the site to the sides and rear of the original building had been filled with lean-to extensions. The project rebuilt these later additions and restored the main double height space of the chapel to provide a one-bedroomed dwelling.
With no garden as such, the design of the first floor balcony and the forecourt became crucial to the success of the scheme.
As specialists in preservation architecture, we obtained the local authority consents and prepared working drawings, liaising with the client who project managed the works onsite.